Thursday, August 30, 2007

Thing #15: Library 2.0

I read through the top two of the suggested articles, and quickly realized that there were issues I wanted to address, so it seemed logical to simply go ahead and blog on those before continuing on with my reading. In the "iceberg" article, the section on user education struck me. I completely understand the author's attitude that we need to make information more accessible to the general public, since it would be virtually impossible for us to train every patron on the proper formation of a precise Boolean search string. At the same time, I fear for our society. A large part of me wonders why we shouldn't expect (or at least hope for) the majority of users to be able to make use of library resources. Far too often, I'm asked by patrons what the difference is between fiction and non-fiction. Or why can't we call a branch for them instead of "making" them use the book quick phone. Or I'll face yet another parent asking me for the shortest book possible so that their non-reading child can drift through their summer reading assignment. Yes, I understand that it is important for libraries to make our services accessible to patrons. But on another level, I rebel against our emergent culture of proud ignorance and unrepentant sloth. In some halcyon world, at least the library could remain as a bastion of academic honesty and intellectual effort. Our nation includes far too many universities where "The History of Baseball" and "Rock and Roll Appreciation" are honor's classes. It pains me to think that libraries would be just another link in the chain of society's intellectual devolution.

No comments: