Monday, June 18, 2007

7.5 lifelong learning habits

It seems that one area that I need to work on while learning is patience. It was nearly impossible not to hit the fast forward button as the narrator for the " 7.5 things" spoke in her painfully slow, deliberate manner. Her calm, non regional dialect seemed more appropriate for a hypnotist's office than as a narrator. But in the end (in addition to thinking I'm a chicken) I feel that the learning habits could be a useful tool to use.
The hardest for me must be habit 3-- view problems as challenges. It's far too easy to feel overwhelmed as the enormity of a task looms ahead of you. Something like the summer reading club seemed like a task that could never be handled. So many problems would arise that it appeared as an impossible chore. But when each bump was taken by itself, a simple solution could often be found. It will be important for me to work in the future to ensure that I look for creative and effective solutions to problems, rather than allow myself to be overwhelmed.
I think two habits come easiest to me. The first is 6- use technology to your advantage. I graduated college in '02, and so the internet was already a vital tool during my collegiate career. But this can also provide a danger, as it becomes too easy to simply "Google" something rather than take the time to search out a more appropritate source. Technology can be a great help, but we also need to keep its limitations in mind.
The other habit I feel comfortable with is 7- teach/mentor others. As an academic librarian, part of my job was teaching Information Literacy classes to community college students. I also served as a teaching assistant for art history classes while in college. This process instilled in me a great love of passing on skills and knowledge to a willing audience. To this day I find it to be alot of fun to sit down with a person and empower them with the ability to use a database or find books on a library shelf, or even navigate the internet. The sharing of knowledge and skills can be a powerful interaction.

No comments: